Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

this is how the APPLICATION to have a driving licence rewritten works.

The transfer of a foreign driving licence is only possible if certain requirements are met. You can find them here.

Still driving with a foreign driving licence? Then apply now to transfer your driving licence!
You passed your driving test in another country and now want a German driving licence? Then the best thing to do is to apply to the competent authority to have your driving licence transferred. This article will show you exactly how to do this, which documents you need and what else you might need to consider.

here's the deal


The transfer of a driving licence can only be made with an appointment at the local driving licence authority.
To apply for your new driving licence, you must book an appointment directly on the website of the Munich driving licence authority. Appointments there are very limited, so we recommend keeping an eye on the appointment capacities in the mornings
Depending on capacity, appointments for the same day will be released approximately 15 minutes before the driving licence authority opens. Appointments are also always available due to cancellations at short notice.

What documents are needed to apply for a German driving licence at the authority?
First of all, you must of course present the original of your foreign driving licence and bring the completed form for the driver's licence transfer with you. You also need to present your identity card or a passport with a registration certificate. Furthermore, a current biometric photo is always required for the issue of a German driving licence. If your original driving licence was not issued in German or English, a translation may be required, depending on the decision of the driving licence authority. However, you usually do not have to submit this immediately, but can submit it later if necessary.

  • Check list for the application
  • Driving school DriveX, Erdinger Straße 1a, 85609 Aschheim Driving school number DriveX: 10447
  • Photocopy of your identity card or passport.
  • A biometric passport photo.
  • Result of an optician's eye test (not older than 2 years).
  • A certificate of attendance of a first aid course (original).
  • A photocopy of your foreign driving licence.
  • An official translation of your national driver's license.


FAQ on the APPLICATION to have your driving licence rewritten

Do I have to exchange my foreign driving licence at all?

If you have a valid foreign driving licence, you can generally drive all motor vehicles in Germany for which your driving licence was issued. However, especially in the case of non-European driving licences, it is highly advisable to carry an additional international driving licence or a translation.
If you have registered your main residence in the Federal Republic of Germany, your foreign driving licence from non-EU/EEA countries will only remain valid for six months according to the Driving Licence Ordinance (FeV). After this period, it becomes invalid and you must apply for a transfer of the foreign driving licence (mandatory exchange).
The only exception is if you will not be living in Germany for longer than one year, you can apply for an extension of your foreign driving licence at the competent authority. However, you must provide the appropriate proof.

What must be considered when applying to transfer a foreign driving licence?

In any case, you must submit the application for transfer in person. Representation by a third party is not possible, nor is an online application. In principle, the application procedure is always the same:
You present your existing authorisation to drive motor vehicles (i.e. your foreign driving licence) and request a transfer. If you are applying for a driving licence from a so-called "third country" according to Annex 11 to the FeV for trucks or buses, you must first visit a doctor and have your fitness to drive examined. In addition to a general check of your physical health, you will also have an ophthalmological examination and a qualified function and performance test. In addition, it is necessary to pass a theoretical and practical test for the classes to be transcribed in order to transcribe your driving licence from a third country. You will be requested to take the tests in writing by the driving licence authority; for the practical test you must find a suitable driving school.

Important note: Please note that you can usually only obtain a German driving licence for the classes for which you are old enough. If you have not yet reached the age of 18, for example, a driving licence for passenger cars from the USA will not be transferred to you immediately!

Where can I apply for a driver's license?

If you are applying for a driving licence for the first time, you must first go to the competent authority and apply for a driving licence. Depending on the city or municipality, this may be the residents' registration office, the district authority or the road traffic office. The place where you apply for your driving licence depends on your first place of residence.
In Munich, the"Fahrzeugzulassungs- und Fahrerlaubnisbehörde" is responsible for all matters concerning driving licences. If you live in the district of Munich, you can apply for your driving licence either at""""Führerscheinstelle München-Land" or at the town hall of your municipality.
If you live neither in the city of Munich nor in the district of Munich, you will need permission from your municipality to take your driving test at DriveX. This is usually not a problem if you work, do your training or go to school in Munich.

Where do I apply for my new driving licence?
You must always apply for your domestic driving licence at the authority responsible for your place of residence in Germany. This is either a citizens' office (Bürgeramt) or a public order office (Ordnungsamt) (in cities) or a district administration office (Landratsamt) (in rural districts).

How long does it take to apply for a driving licence transfer?

The approval of the application usually takes between four and six weeks. This period may seem quite long, but you do not have to wait and be idle. The application must only be completed if you also want to take the test. You can therefore start your driving training with us well in advance, which we would strongly recommend.
Currently, however, the application may be delayed somewhat due to Corona restrictions.

What does it cost to apply for the transfer of a foreign driving licence?

The costs vary depending on the region.
In the urban area of Munich, applying for a driving licence costs €44.70 (+ €28.60 for class B96 or B197).
In the district of Munich €38.80 (without probationary period), €39.60 (with probationary period).

What do I need to apply for a driver's license?

In some countries outside the EU, an international driving licence is required. Here, too, a visit to the relevant driving licence office is unavoidable. In addition to the application, which you can obtain directly from the driving licence office, a biometric photo, a valid identity document and the current national or EU driving licence are also required here.
The costs are about 15-20 EUR. Unlike the EU driving licence, however, it is only valid for three years.